Author Topic: Asus X201e Wireless  (Read 3503 times)

Aaron Preabt

• View Profile
Asus X201e Wireless
« on: February 25, 2013, 06:59:57 AM »
We're playing around with the new X201E from Asus, and while everything seems to be working (except on-board nic but a new driver fixed that  ;)), the wireless is only reporting 56Mbps over N. Is this another driver issue or is this card not capable of full speed N?

And and off topic question...A few of my teachers have asked if we can incorporate some kind of side-by-side window switch like in Ubuntu Unity (chrome goes to each half when dragged and dropped). Any possibility with Ubermix?

Cytochromec

• View Profile
Re: Asus X201e Wireless
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 07:54:26 AM »
One thing you can do is open a terminal and type "ctrl-alt-T" to open a terminal. Then type "lspci" to get a list of all pci devices. Near the bottom should be the name of the wireless card. Then you can search for that card name plus the word(s) ubuntu or linux. You can also determine the driver in use by going to the network manager applet and choosing connection information, searching for the driver can also yield info.

You can try logging into Unity or Gnome interface and see if they prefer that to the Ubermix launcher
http://wiki.ubermix.org/page/Alternate_Environments

As far as adding a new window behavior to the standard Ubermix launcher, I am not sure.

jnetman1

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 08:03:31 AM »
I'm seeing 108Mbps on the one I'm using right now, so maybe it's a wireless config issue with the access point. I'll poke around a little more with some other access points and see what I can find. I'll also look into the side-by-side options and let you know, although on a smaller screen this gives me pause.

Keep in mind that there is also workspace functionality in ubermix (the idea that Apple "borrowed" when they created what they call "spaces"). If you press ctrl-alt-[left | right] you can get a fresh workspace. As such, you can flip back and forth quickly between two apps.

Aaron Preabt

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 11:43:54 AM »
The reason for the side-by-side request is coming from some high school ELA classes that want to have two browser windows side-by-side for composition without having to do a manual re-size.

The card in my 201E is an AR9462 and according to the connection information it is using the ath9k driver, which a google search shows should be compatible.

From looking at iwconfig, it looks like the netbook is connecting on a 2.4 band...Google confirmed that 54Mbps is typical for this card and driver on that band. We do have the 5.8 band turned on as well though, which is why I'm confused for a supposed full-power n card why I only see 2.4.

Any suggestions? This is certainly not a deal breaker on this model since I'm loving everything else about it, just an annoyance.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 11:54:48 AM by Aaron Preabt »

Aaron Preabt

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 12:03:51 PM »
Just noticed something else interesting...iwconfig is showing my bit rate at 133mbps, however with connection information up it only shows 54mpbs...Am I going crazy? :o

jnetman1

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2013, 01:08:42 PM »
I wonder if it's a glitch in the way the driver is reporting connection speed to network manager. I have been able to connect at both 2.4 and 5 GHz to dual band access points and am seeing faster than 54Mbps. Interestingly enough I am only seeing 54Mbps when connecting to the 2.4GHz-only access point next to my office. Still poking around a bit.

Aaron Preabt

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 08:12:38 AM »
Thinking my custom base was the issue, I applied a fresh Ubermix 1.065 image to it. Same results  :-\. Still sitting on the 2.4 band. I'm really thinking it has to do with our wireless config here. We are running extreme AP's with matching controller and software.

Any thoughts?