Author Topic: Simple Updates and wine  (Read 2024 times)

Cytochromec

• View Profile
Simple Updates and wine
« on: August 08, 2012, 11:58:04 AM »
We sadly need Wine to install Type To Learn which is a 1.1 GB program on our netbooks. I resize the base partition to 6 GB and then boot into the generic file system and everything installs and runs fine. I can rebuild the image on the key (which is 3.2 GB so it must include the TTL info) and image another system and everything works fine as well. However if I boot into the -aufs file system and change a printer and try to build simple updates it creates a 1.1 GB simple update file because wine is storing the C-drive in a .win folder in the Home directory. This makes the simple update process really long, the restore process take a long time, and ends up making the key larger than 4 GB. I tried removing the .wine folder from the user.tar.gz archive but then when I applied the updates TTL didn't work correctly.

So I can either set the printers for each room in the -generic file system and have a different base image for each classroom (only 6 classrooms so not the end of the world), or figure out a way for the simple updates to not include the .wine folder and also not overwrite the .wine folder, or some other genius idea  8)

urkomasse

• View Profile
Re: Simple Updates and wine
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 12:55:44 AM »
Not a fix, but maybe a workaround:
For mapping the printers I am using the "simple updates" script, and a couple of "lpadmin" commands. Works very well.

Here is the relevant command to map a printer using the pxlcolor PCL 6 driver (what we need in our case):
lpadmin -p NameOfThePrinter -v smb://IPaddressOrNameOfServer/PrinterShare -E -m foomatic-db-compressed-ppds:0/ppd/foomatic-ppd/Generic-PCL_6_PCL_XL_Printer-pxlcolor.ppd -L "Description of the printer"

And a second line to set some options:
lpadmin -p NameOfThePrinter -o PageSize=A4 -o PrintoutMode=Normal -o Duplex=DuplexNoTumble -o printer-is-shared=false

This way you should be able to avoid having to regenerate or tweak the image any time your printers change.

Cytochromec

• View Profile
Re: Simple Updates and wine
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 09:05:15 AM »
I will try out this option. It seems I will have  to figure out the ppd file to use based on the driver listed. As I am writing I think I l actually add all the printers on the image and then use the script to delete printers from particular rooms. I believe I can use grep and hostname and if statements to say if your hostname contains RM48 then deleter printers named Room49, Room 50, etc.

This way even if I don't get the script working the students can choose the correct default printer.