Author Topic: Asus 1011CX indicator-power issues/wireless network issues  (Read 5477 times)

Aaron Preabt

• View Profile
Asus 1011CX indicator-power issues/wireless network issues
« on: June 28, 2012, 10:35:38 AM »
Jim/anyone else,

I was finalizing our custom Ubermix image that we will be using for our Cedar Trail devices. Everything was working wonderfully on the base machine so I captured it. When I applied the freshly captured image to another 1011CX strange things happened. Firstly, the power icon that is driven by the indicator-power package appears then disappears constantly, but only when plugged into power. When on battery it functions as expected. As soon as a power adapter touches the machine the icon will disappear, only to re-appear a second or two later. It continues this until you unplug it.

The other issue we are seeing is with wireless connectivity. My base machine was able to connect to our two SSID's we have in our district without a problem. The test machine is not able to connect  to whatever wireless I had as default. It will connect to the other network without a problem though.

Ideas?

jnetman1

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Asus 1011CX indicator-power issues/wireless network issues
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 11:05:02 AM »
If you are running a version prior to 1.03, there was a bug that made the wireless settings non-portable. To fix it, follow the instructions on http://wiki.ubermix.org/page/Manual_Updates under the "v1.03 Updates" section.

Not sure on the battery indicator, but would guess that it has something to do with the way it is tracking battery history. Does it get any better after a reboot?

Aaron Preabt

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 11:54:04 AM »
Jim,

I'm using 1.03 but also tried 1.04.

It doesn't get any better after rebooting. I even tried to remove and reinstall through package manager. It's the strangest thing.

What's even funiier is that I downloaded a fresh 1.04 from the site and applied it to a fresh, never touched machine. Same issue.

jnetman1

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 01:40:24 PM »
I'm thinking maybe this is a BIOS issue. Are the BIOS versions on the good one and the troubled ones the same?

jnetman1

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 06:18:39 PM »
Just posted a 1.05 release with quite a bit newer kernel and drivers. Didn't experience the issue on my 1011cx with the new version.

Aaron Preabt

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2012, 07:08:25 PM »
I'll give 1.05 a try tomorrow and see what I come across. I haven't compared the BIOS versions either, so I'll check that out. Thanks for all you do!

Aaron Preabt

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2012, 06:25:29 AM »
Jim, 1.05 seemed to work better on the machine. Is there a way I can update the kernel on the 1.03 build without loosing the custom boot menu?

jnetman1

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2012, 01:52:24 PM »
Yes, download the following 2 files on your master machine:

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B52M_cKAX2AROC1Jbl9Famg2c2c
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B52M_cKAX2ARNUs5b3VhQXd4Mk0

Then do the following:
  • Reboot in generic mode
  • Open a terminal and type the following commands:
    sudo dpkg --purge linux-image* linux-headers*
    sudo dpkg -i Downloads/linux-image* Downloads/linux-headers*
  • Reboot

If you do that and everything on the http://wiki.ubermix.org/page/Manual_Updates page it will get you close to 1.05.

Aaron Preabt

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2012, 06:39:33 AM »
Jim, that worked wonderfully. Ran both commands in order, rebooted and everything is working as expected. Thanks for all you do!

Aaron Preabt

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2012, 01:56:38 PM »
Hey Jim, another issue...Since I did the kernel update I am no longer able to port the wireless from one device to another. It says that connections are available but will not auto connect to the wireless captured in the image. When looking at the "Edit Connections" on the WLAN is has a mac address in that field that isn't from the imaged device, but from the captured device. I checked the sudo gedit /usr/local/bin/home_prep.sh and the line "sed -i 's/mac-address.*$//g' /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/*" is listed there right above done. Any thoughts?

Could this be an issues of Broadcom to Atheros? My base captured device has an Atheos card and the imaged devices have a Broadcom card. Both are N2600 CT devices...
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 06:01:20 AM by Aaron Preabt »

jnetman1

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2012, 02:59:41 PM »
Hmm. The wireless adapter brand has nothing to do with it, so something must be going wrong when the home_prep runs. Unfortunately I'm not able to recreate the problem here - is working for me. Worse case scenario you could always boot in generic mode and run the command manually by inserting a "sudo" in front of it, like so:

sudo sed -i 's/mac-address.*$//g' /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/*

Then verify that it worked with a

sudo cat /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/*

As long as there is no mac-address line, the settings should work on any machine.