Author Topic: Deployment with Clonezilla and hostnames  (Read 2579 times)

urkomasse

• View Profile
Deployment with Clonezilla and hostnames
« on: May 29, 2012, 01:15:40 AM »
Hi,

I am trying some customization of Ubermix 1.0beta2, and it's looking really good. I am throwing all the apt-gets and some more stuff into a script, so I can run it with newer betas easily later on.

I've also changed the hostname script so it creates "uber-xxxxxx" names instead of "system-xxxxxx" names, to more easily tell them apart from our existing computers.

We don't have that many USB sticks laying around, so we are considering using Clonezilla with multicast, which we already have set up for other projects.

When does the "update-hostname" script run? During the installation process? Or on first boot after installation?
Hopefully on first boot, so we can make a Clonezilla image right after the installation, before booting into Ubermix at all.

jnetman1

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Deployment with Clonezilla and hostnames
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 12:55:55 PM »
The update-hostname script runs every boot from the /etc/rc.local script. It collects the hardware mac addresses from all of the network controllers on the machine, checks to see if the existing hostname matches any of them, then sets the hostname if it doesn't find a match.

Clonezilla works well, although it is not as fast as USB keys - network bandwidth can rarely keep up with USB speeds.

urkomasse

• View Profile
Re: Deployment with Clonezilla and hostnames
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 01:43:11 AM »
Great. Thanks for the info.
We'll probably round up as many usb sticks as we can, and use both ways at the same time. We can do around 20 netbooks per batch with Clonezilla.