Author Topic: Ubermix with standard desktop environment?  (Read 4871 times)

urkomasse

• View Profile
Ubermix with standard desktop environment?
« on: May 28, 2012, 12:15:41 AM »
Hi,

I really like the quick recovery option with aufs, and I was wondering if it would be interesting to have an Ubermix version that uses a full desktop environment instead of the Ubermix launcher. It might make more sense for people installing it on desktops or full-size laptops.

Or even for my mother-in-law's laptop. I know I would love to have that quick recovery there!

I'm just floating the idea. I am not particularly advocating for it, or for any desktop environment in particular. Unity, XFCE, LXDE are the ones I know best, and they all have their strengths and weaknesses.

What do people think about this?

Cytochromec

• View Profile
Re: Ubermix with standard desktop environment?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 08:43:41 AM »
I have done this and it is fairly straightforward (but I haven't created an .img file of the customization). You need to boot into the -generic file system and in the software center install LXDE (or another desktop environment). Then you need to open terminal and type alacarte to get to the menu editor. Click to show the login options under the System menu. Then go to the system menu and in the login settings click to make changes and type in the password (which is password). You can then have the system auto-login to the other desktop environment (or allow you to choose your environment at login instead of auto-login).

jnetman1

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 01:48:32 PM »
You beat me to a blog post on this one, but 1.0 now has both Unity and Gnome classic on it by default, as well as the ubermix launcher. To switch, simply Logout from the Power/Settings menu, then when you see the password prompt, click the white circle immediately to the right of the user name. Select the desktop environment you want to use and login with your password (default is "password"). You'll then have all the ubermix underpinnings with the stock environment.

jnetman1

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, 01:51:41 PM »
Alternatively, you can disable the automatic maximize feature of ubermix by following the directions here: http://wiki.ubermix.org/page/Disable_Maximus. You can then use the ubermix launcher more comfortably on a larger screen.

urkomasse

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 12:39:11 AM »
Thanks, I tried it, and it works very well.

I am very very very close to putting this on my mother-in-law's laptop :)

jnetman1

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 12:52:58 PM »
FYI the standard desktop environments are still available in 1.0 release version, even though the Logout menu has been disabled. Easiest way to get back to the login screen (where you can choose an environment as described above) is to open a terminal (ctrl-alt-t) and type:

Code: [Select]
gnome-session-quit
Once you select a new environment, ubermix will remember it the next time it starts up.