Author Topic: Disable N networking (to try and fix instability with intel 5100 wifi)  (Read 3464 times)

Cytochromec

• View Profile
I think if I place this script in our location for the network autostart script

#!/bin/bash
sudo echo options iwlagn 11n_disable=1 >> /etc/modprobe.d/intel_11n_disable.conf
sudo update-initramfs -u
sudo modprobe -r iwlagn
sudo modprobe iwlagn

I have never pushed out a script over the network, so I just wanted to make sure. I have run this file via sudo in terminal on a local machine and it works fine. Would this change "stick" after a system restore?

Cytochromec

• View Profile
I tested the file locally and over the network and made some changes. I had to remove the wifi disable and enable lines because then the program would just loop. I also added lines to check if the files existed, because the script ran on every boot and just added another line to the files if they were there.

So this script disable N wireless for the tricky Intel 5100 WiFi card and adds a file in the Home folder which students can click and choose Run to reconnect to WiFi without needing to restart.

#!/bin/bash
VAR=1;
if [ -f  /etc/modprobe.d/intel_11n_disable.conf ];
then
   VAR=2;
else
   sudo echo options iwlagn 11n_disable=1 >> /etc/modprobe.d/intel_11n_disable.conf
fi

if [ -f /home/user/FixMyWireless ];
then
   echo 'cool'
else
   sudo echo '#!/bin/bash' >> /home/user/FixMyWireless
   sudo echo 'sudo modprobe -r iwlagn' >> /home/user/FixMyWireless
   sudo echo 'sudo modprobe iwlagn' >> /home/user/FixMyWireless
   sudo chmod a+x /home/user/FixMyWireless

fi

if [ VAR == 1 ];
then
sudo update-initramfs -u
fi

jnetman1

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Creative solution. I'm curious if this is still a problem with 1.0. If you get the chance to test it, let me know how it goes.

Cytochromec

• View Profile
I have tried 1.0 on a few other machines and have had issues with the launcher not displaying (eeePC 1015 and Acer Aspire One 722 AMD C60). I haven't tried 1.0 on the dell e6400, but they are still having terrible wireless connectivity even with N disabled.