Author Topic: Change the color of the top bar/panel  (Read 3179 times)

Cytochromec

• View Profile
Change the color of the top bar/panel
« on: March 27, 2012, 02:42:52 PM »
Running .913 and I am changing the background picture. However, the top panel stays blue. I have tried messing with the themes, but I can't seem to get the color to change. This is crucial since I don't want my Ubermix to clash  ;)

jnetman1

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Change the color of the top bar/panel
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 02:59:52 PM »
Unfortunately, it's not something that is in the generic settings for appearance, you have to change it in gconf-editor or the command line. I'm going to make it semi-transparent in the next release so that it won't clash with anything, but in the mean time you can open a terminal (ctrl-alt-t) and type gconf-editor, then navigate to /apps/panel/toplevels/top_panel_screen0/background/color and change it there. To select a color, use the GIMP to either pick a color using the color selection tool or use the eyedropper tool on a portion of your background image to select a color, then copy and paste the value in HTML notation to the /apps/panel/toplevels/top_panel_screen0/background/color field. Be sure to precede your color with a "#".

If you're feeling adventurous, you can do this even faster from the command line with:
gconftool --type=string --set /apps/panel/toplevels/top_panel_screen0/background/color "#0055a3"

(replace "#0055a3" with the color of your choosing)

Cytochromec

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 03:45:25 PM »
I did it and I also changed the opacity on the same config screen to half the existing value and now it looks sweet.

http://ubuntuone.com/3e24wTGW5rRVzRxXSIz3Ld

jnetman1

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 03:52:56 PM »
 :)