Author Topic: Acer AspireOne 722 - AMD suspend issues  (Read 2668 times)

Cytochromec

• View Profile
Acer AspireOne 722 - AMD suspend issues
« on: April 16, 2012, 09:26:01 AM »
The Acer AspireOne 722 is an awesome 11.6 inch netbook, with a full keyboard priced at $330. Using the default Ubermix image 0.914GA there are a few graphics issues (blurred text on occasion) and a fairly high power usage (10 watts during normal web/text usage=5 hours of life). I installed the AMD graphics drivers via the ubermix wiki http://wiki.ubermix.org/page/AMD_Video_Acceleration and via direct download of the latest catalyst drivers from the AMD website http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/linux/Pages/radeon_linux.aspx and the graphics improves and power use decreases (6 watts during normal web/text usage=8 hours of life).

However, the netbook won't wake from suspend (which kind of cancels out the wonderful new power savings). I have read several wikis and forums that this is a known issue, but am hoping for a fix or another way to decrease battery use.

jnetman1

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Acer AspireOne 722 - AMD suspend issues
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 09:58:46 AM »
I've seen this on similar models with the VA-API installed - have you tried redoing the driver install and answering "no" to that option? Be sure to start from a fresh ubermix install, otherwise the original VA-API software won't go away.

Unfortunately, AMD hasn't been very consistent with the "C" and "E" series chips. We've seen several different underlying versions, which has been causing some trouble with reliability and drivers.

Cytochromec

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 07:55:57 PM »
Yes I just installed the driver and said no to the VA-API and flash question. I have definitely been reading that the AMD driver has trouble waking from suspend on the Acer AspireOne 722. I hope I can find a way to get at least some of power advantages of the AMD drivers. I have installed Jupiter and run Powertop, but they only seem to drop the power usage down to 8 or 9 Watts.

jnetman1

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 12:57:30 PM »
Just checking in - is power utilization better with the FOSS drivers in ubermix 1.0?