Technical > General Support

internet connection problems on ubuntu

(1/1)

Eli:
Hi all, I'm still new to linux but have installed ubermix on an older computer I got for the kids to play on.

I'm having a problem getting the internet to stay connected. I have no idea what's causing the problem.

Currently I have it connected via a lan cable to my windows 10 PC, which has a usb dongle connected to the wi-fi. Internet on my PC is solid, but on the ubermix computer it is patchy, maybe works for 4-5 minutes when I first boot it up and then nothing.

The same thing seems to happen if I try the wifi dongle directly from the ubermix computer, I get a connection for a few minutes when I first plug it in, then nothing.

The errors showing in chrome either say DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NO_INTERNET or ERR_INTERNET_DISCONNECTED.  Also a notification seems to pop up from now and then in the top right corner telling me the network has been disconnected.

I need some help troubleshooting this to figure out exactly where the problem lies, any help would be greatly appreciated! thanks

Wever:

--- Quote from: Eli on June 19, 2018, 02:05:49 PM ---Hi all, I'm still new to D-Bal but have installed ubermix on an older computer I got for the kids to play on.

I'm having a problem getting the internet to stay connected. I have no idea what's causing the problem.

Currently I have it connected via a lan cable to my windows 10 PC, which has a usb dongle connected to the wi-fi. Internet on my PC is solid, but on the ubermix computer it is patchy, maybe works for 4-5 minutes when I first boot it up and then nothing.

The same thing seems to happen if I try the wifi dongle directly from the ubermix computer, I get a connection for a few minutes when I first plug it in, then nothing.

The errors showing in chrome either say DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NO_INTERNET or ERR_INTERNET_DISCONNECTED.  Also a notification seems to pop up from now and then in the top right corner telling me the network has been disconnected.

I need some help troubleshooting this to figure out exactly where the problem lies, any help would be greatly appreciated! thanks

--- End quote ---

That's an odd issue. I've never had something like that. When I had internet connection problems on ubuntu, it either worked or it didn't. I'd love to know what you did to fix this, if you managed to fix it that is, Eli.

Sn3akyP3t3:
I have this problem with my Internet Service Provider.  The cause of it is mostly because my ISP is terrible and blocking packets when a certain limit inbound or outbound is hit.  Usually, my issue is that my outbound ceiling of 300 kbps is hit and that slams the door shut on inbound traffic as well.  Sometimes the only way to resolve this is to cut down on your traffic by applying network usage reduction techniques such as:

* Restrict phone on Wifi as much as possible during awake hours.
* Enable data caching on as many mobile apps as possible.  Some techniques from Republic Wireless can be applied as well.  https://help.republicwireless.com/hc/en-us/articles/115006487907-Optimize-Apps-for-WiFi
* Use ad filters like Adblock Plus, AdGuard, or uBlock
* Schedule backups and heavy network loads for the hours you are asleep.
* Use 1.1.1.1 for DNS; https://1.1.1.1/
You can verify if your ISP is indeed the problem by running a smoke ping service against your public IP address through http://www.dslreports.com/smokeping so long as your router is not blocking ping requests.  I think this may be free one or a few times, but costs a little money to have it run as a service throughout the day, but its worth it in order to get an idea of how long you're getting outages throughout the day.

If it's not your ISP then you likely have something misconfigured on your network or even a bad network cable involved.  It really looks to me though like your network is being dropped as communication is underway or waiting for a response.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version