Author Topic: Problems on ACER Travelmate B115  (Read 3206 times)

ssunkev

• View Profile
Problems on ACER Travelmate B115
« on: April 17, 2017, 08:32:16 AM »
Hi to all,

I am pretty new to this, and I am an adult private user. Not a kid or a student.
I have a very average use of my computer, Internet, Music and video reproduction, and storage.
I don seem to have much of the initial reported problems with my OS like mousepad, connectivity , etc... However I have a small list  of issues I would like to resolve.

First of all, the system crash. I have seen a few solutions on a previous post, but I don t know how to implement them, so I would need probably, the latest fix and how to fix it.

I also have a small issue with my keyboard, it is a spanish keyboard, and although I use the spanish layout config. I am missing the use of some accents and symbols. So I have to rely on spell check, which also doesn't really work on my gmail, for example, it doesn't switch from english to spanish.

Also, and that's quiet inconvenient. On internet, most of the time when I have to fill cases to provide information, and the case is colored, the caracter I type appear in white which makes it very hard to read and make sure of what I am writing. Is there a way to change that parameter.

My Bluetooth needs manually set up most of the time I connect a device to it ( I have 2 ) and even thouhgh it is connected, I have to switch manually the output device. Can this be improved.

And last, Once , a movie streaming web page asked me for Adobe flash plug in to run the video, and it did not seem available for this version of Linux.

Can you please, you genuises out there, help resolve these issues??

Thanks

ssunkev

• View Profile
Re: Problems on ACER Travelmate B115
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 03:06:02 AM »
Is there anywhere else I can seek assistance ??

urkomasse

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 07:04:12 PM »
Hi,
First of all, sorry for the long time without a reply.
Second, I think using Ubermix as a private user is not such a great idea. A lot of the thought process behind Ubermix is for meeting the needs of schools.
I would recommend that you check out other Linux distributions with more active communities of users. This forum is mostly used by the IT system administrators of schools, with our own busy schedules.

What were your reasons for using Ubermix?
Lately I have recommended people Ubuntu MATE as a great option for beginners.
http://ubuntu-mate.org/
It has a tool (MATE Tweak) that can make it look like Windows, Mac, or other systems.
They also have a very healthy community of users, and a lot of them Spanish-speakers.
https://ubuntu-mate.community/
Let me know if you want some tips in that direction.

ssunkev

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017, 07:58:14 AM »
Thank you very much,

I went to ubermix because of the description I read, I also liked it's light form, and the tools that come with it.

Now, I hear your recommendation, and if you recommend this Ubuntu Mate OS for my Laptop ( acer Travelmate B115) I will surely give it a try, especially if it is more stable and better supported.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

urkomasse

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2017, 06:08:58 PM »
Yes, for a general user, with your laptop (or any laptop) you are better off with any of the standard Ubuntu versions.
Go ahead and give it a try.
You will also find that they have a forum section in Spanish:
https://ubuntu-mate.community/c/multilingual/spanish

I'm in that community too:
https://ubuntu-mate.community/users/UrkoM/summary

I would suggest that you use Ubuntu MATE 16.04.2, and 64bits if your computer can do it (it probably can).

ssunkev

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2017, 02:22:52 PM »
Thank you very much for your help.