Author Topic: Mapping network drive  (Read 3154 times)

arjepsen

• View Profile
Mapping network drive
« on: October 06, 2015, 02:42:11 AM »
Hey.
I,m using ubermix on my schools computers (im the admin).
Ive installed the lubuntu desktop on ubermix, since even the light version of ubermix was a bit too much for these old pcs.
It works fine so far, and the last thing i need, is to map a network drive, so its accessible from the desktop
Ive followed this guide:
http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/2014/08/map-network-drive-onto-ubuntu-14-04/
And it works great on the generic part.
But these changes doesnt carry over to the aufs part - i think ive narrowed it down to the changes in fstab not bring carried over.
Any help / suggestions?

Regards
Anders

urkomasse

• View Profile
Re: Mapping network drive
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 08:45:20 PM »
Hi,

First thing to check would be: Is the /etc/fstab content correct when you boot in aufs mode?

Have you tried adding:
mount -a
at the end of /etc/rc.local?

If not, and taking advantage of Ubermix password-less sudo, you could look into running "sudo mount -a" on user login. Or since this is a network drive, and you need network anyway, have you set up the Ubermix Remote Updates? You could run the mount command on the updates, which would give you more flexibility going forward (you might want to move that server one day).

arjepsen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2015, 01:45:13 AM »
Hey, and thanks for your answer.
I guess maybe I wasn't too clear in my first post   :-[

I've booted into the generic (default) part, and changed /etc/fstab there, and things work great.
But when I boot into the aufs (user) part, I can see that the /etc/fstab file there looks different.
The changes I made under the generic part doesn't carry over, and it seems to be an entirely different file.
So how do I make permanent changes to the fstab file under the aufs system?

urkomasse

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2015, 05:17:12 PM »
Hi,
I think you must have made changes to the /etc/fstab file while booted in aufs mode. If you opened the file and saved it even without making any changes, while booted in aufs mode, then the aufs version of the file takes precedence over the version in the generic partition.

You can solve it "properly" by using the boot menu option to reset the system changes (with or without resetting the user data), but then you will lose any other changes you made in aufs mode.

Or you can workaround it while you continue testing by doing this:
sudo cp /ro/etc/fstab /etc/fstab

( The /ro folder shows you the generic partition in read-only mode, so you can move changes you made there into the aufs mode easily )

But remember to try a full reset of your Ubermix machine before you release it for student use.

On a side note: Have you tried the Xubuntu desktop? I find it almost as fast as Lubuntu, but more mature, more well-rounded. I find Lubuntu has some rough edges for being a full desktop environment. If your concern is about making it look more like Windows, in Xubuntu you can delete the bottom panel, and move the top panel to the bottom. And that's all, it's almost Windows.

arjepsen

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2015, 07:40:32 AM »
I think I tried every possible option of rewriting fstab, both booted in aufs and in generic.
It seems to me, that the fstab in aufs is rewritten on boot, so I ended up mounting the network folder through /etc/rc.local instead.

Anyways, thanks for the help.