Author Topic: iTalc sees ip addresses but not hostnames  (Read 2150 times)

Marker

• View Profile
iTalc sees ip addresses but not hostnames
« on: February 18, 2016, 10:36:17 AM »
I seem to have iTalc working reasonably well - meaning that I can start the master and 2 clients and see the client screens. I can also send a text message to both clients. let student demo, and run commands on clients.

However, the Master can only see the clients if I enter their IP Addresses. It does not find them by hostname.
FWIW, I am not able to log out users. Other details: Ubermix 14.04 with last upgrade within the past couple of weeks; iTalc version is 1:2.0.1-4ubuntu0.14.04.1

I can ping each of the clients from the master (and visaversa) by IP Address. I'm not able to ping by hostname. I know enough to know that may have to do with name resolution, but not enough to know how to fix it if that's the issue.

The Ubermix computers are in a lab in a building that uses non-Linux DHCP and DNS servers. (Each computer is able to access websites fine by name).

Getting this working is vital to using Ubermix in this lab. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
/\/\ ark

urkomasse

• View Profile
Re: iTalc sees ip addresses but not hostnames
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 09:07:00 PM »
Hi,
This issue is related to your DHCP and DNS server. Not a lot you can do from your end, without the help of the system administrator in charge of those servers. The DHCP server should be informing the DNS server of the hostnames that register, so they become accessible by hostname.

Alternatively, if your system administrator won't help, look at Avahi, ".local" addresses.
Open a Terminal, and type:
avahi-browse -a

Or try pinging one of your ubermix systems name, followed by ".local".

Marker

• View Profile
Re: iTalc sees ip addresses but not hostnames
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2016, 12:35:44 PM »
Thanks! That was very helpful - especially the .local info.
Whatever the problems are with the communication between those servers isn't fixed, but I was able to do a workaround by setting the host information on the server instead of the server's hostname on the clients.