Author Topic: No sound V2 install not even for the "user" account  (Read 2826 times)

deniro55

• View Profile
No sound V2 install not even for the "user" account
« on: November 11, 2014, 09:55:52 PM »
We have some Gateway E4300 systems that we have put the current version (2.04 I believe) on and we have no sound.  It seems that it is a somewhat common problem that started with the 13.04 release of Ubuntu.  I have tried several "fixes" list in the Ubuntu forums to no avail.

Out of desperation I booted to a Linux Mint 17 (based on Ubuntu 14.04) to see if sound worked - and it did. 

When I check sound in Ubermix the output device is listed as dummy output.  It has an on board Intel sound card that shows to be an Intel 82801FB. If I open the alsamixer it normally comes up showing that sound is muted, but it is not the complete mixer listing. Removing the muted setting does not help. Currently I am unable to open the mixer at all.  Running cat /proc/asound/cards returns the message --- no soundcards ---

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? I am stumped. - deniro55

deniro55

• View Profile
Re: No sound V2 install not even for the "user" account
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 09:20:36 PM »
Fixed the problem.  Found that I needed to edit:

deniro55

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 09:30:19 PM »
Sorry I had a brain fade there.
Ok as I started to say I needed to edit:
/etc/modeprobe.d/alsa-base.conf
I added "options snd-hda-intel model=5stack" to the bottom of the page. Saved the change and rebooted sound has worked every time through several reboots.

I found the info that I needed on this page: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SoundTroubleshootingProcedure.

fg1ff0rd

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 10:35:41 AM »
Has anyone found a different solution...we have been having this same issue with many different models and makes of PC's and the 5stack solution only works about 1/4 of the time. We have gateways, dells, and polywells all with the dummy output.