Author Topic: 2.1L simple updates not working  (Read 2162 times)

tlscott99

• View Profile
2.1L simple updates not working
« on: September 09, 2014, 03:27:27 PM »
I work with a computer refurbishing group and we've been using 2.1L which works great with older systems, but I've run into a problem I didn't see in previous UM versions.

After putting a few shortcuts on the desktop and modifying LibreOffice to write MS Office files, I attempt to get simple updates working.   As in the past, I used menu choice 5 from the flash drive boot, then create simple updates, they seem to write to the flash drive without a problem. 

However, when I attempt to use them on another system (choosing #4 Fast Image or just choosing #2 Simple updates) there are some problems.  First, the whole process looks normal, but it finishes without any notification, just going back to the UM main menu on the flash drive.  When I attempt to just press enter to reboot, it wants to start the whole imaging process again.  I've let it go through again, but seems to get stuck in a loop.  If I interrupt the process, then reboot the system that has just been imaged, it doesn't want to keep the simple updates.  It also does something weird with the home partition, making it only about 8 GB regardless of the size of the hard drive.

I can continue to use 2.1L by itself with no problems, but just have to make the changes (desktop icons, LibreOffice config) manually on each system imaged.  It would be nice to have simple updates working again.

I have tried this using different flash drives and different computer hardware - same result.  Any suggestions?

jnetman1

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: 2.1L simple updates not working
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2014, 01:25:17 PM »
Is the key maybe running out of space? Are you seeing EOF errors when the simple updates get applied?

tlscott99

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2014, 09:19:29 PM »
Yes, I do get EOF errors.  Below is the message from Apply updates.  I was using a 16GB flash drive thinking that it may be because my 4GB flash drive was out of space.

Applying simple updates.  Please wait....

gzip: stdin: unexpected end of file
/bin/tar: Child returned status 1
/bin/tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now

gzip: stdin: unexpected end of file
/bin/tar: unexpected EOF in archive
/bin/tar: unxepected EOR in archive
/bin/tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now

Cleaning up. Please wait....
mke2fs 1.42.9
done.

Simple updates applied.  Press any key to continue.

jnetman1

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2014, 09:36:46 AM »
Did you resize the ubermix key partition according to the instructions at /home/user/Sites/ubermix/site/customization.html? Remember that the original ubermix-key2.x.img file is only just big enough to store a default install. It doesn't automatically expand to fill up the available space on the usb key unless you follow the steps at the bottom of the customization page.

tlscott99

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2014, 08:57:06 PM »
No I had not tried to increase the key size since I've never had to do that on all the 1.x versions.  But I tried those steps this evening, but I get a non-bootable disk error.  I tried the steps on multiple flash drives, but got the same result.   I tried different variations for a few hours, but still couldn't get it working.  I thought there might be hidden files (.disk & .trash)- made them viewable and copied them, but still no luck.  I used GParted to make sure the boot flag was set, but still same "non-bootable disk" error.

I even tried using GParted to just expand the existing UM partition into the unallocated space.  The flash drive would boot correctly to the UM menu but still wouldn't take the simple updates to make UM workable - same EOF errors as before I increased the UM partition size.