Author Topic: purging unused locale data  (Read 2211 times)

skamithi

• View Profile
purging unused locale data
« on: June 01, 2013, 04:52:38 PM »
Thanks for this great packaging of Ubuntu Linux. It was recommended to me by the Kramden Institute. Built 13 laptops destined to an IT training facility in Kibera slum in Nairobi Kenya using a customized Ubermix thumb drive.

My comment is,  I recommend the localepurge pkg be standard on Ubermix.  Running localepurge,  freed up enough space for me to install a big chunk of the KDE educational suite as part of the customization.

Thanks again for the great work.  Will definitely be using Ubermix for any future deployments of laptops to IT training schools in Kenya.

jnetman1

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: purging unused locale data
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 10:55:15 PM »
Hey @skamithi, thrilled to hear that ubermix is working well for you in Nairobi! Thanks for the tip on localepurge - that's not one I have ever used before. I'm a little leery of making it a default on ubermix since ubermix is used in other countries, and I don't want people to have to re-install apps to get the other languages back. I'll definitely look at it further to see if it makes sense in the future.

Just out of curiosity, what is the name of the training facility where you plan to deploy the 13 laptops?

Juan Pucheu

• View Profile
Re: purging unused locale data
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 06:16:38 PM »
take care with localepurge. I prefer to do a little tuning with bleatch.
localepurge only works with new packages, it doesn't purge the old ones, so to gain a little space you need to uninstall all the ubermix packages, install localepurge, and reinstall everything.