Author Topic: lost aufs  (Read 1749 times)

Marker

• View Profile
lost aufs
« on: January 31, 2014, 10:34:31 AM »
I don't know if this is the right way to say this, but I was updating our Ubermix image and entered "generic". I made changes, including updates. (There was a grub update which asked me where to install it -- I chose sda rather than sda1. Is that ok?)

After rebooting and then going in later to make additional changes to the base image I pressed 'e', which brought me to the screen where one normally changes aufs to generic. It was already generic.

What did I do wrong? How can I get it back so that the "base install" doesn't get changed incorrectly in the future?

Thanks

Feb. 2
As I look into this a bit more I'd say that it's related to the update to grub2. I found posts about editing the /boot/grub/grub.cfg file, but am not sure that or how I should.
1 - Should one ignore the message at the top about not editing this file?
2 - I looked at the /etc/grub.d and /etc/default/grub files, but didn't see anything helpful there.
3 - There are 7 instances of the word "generic" in the /boot/grub/grub.cfg file. Is it just a matter of replacing those 7 words with "aufs" or is it more complicated than that? (I'm assuming more complicated).

Anyway, any help in getting back to the ability to boot into Normal Mode so that kids can't make permanent changes would be much appreciated.

...gonna go watch the SuperBowl now...
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 03:11:38 PM by Marker »

jnetman1

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: lost aufs
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2014, 02:54:37 PM »
Huh. Grub shouldn't have updated itself - that's kindof a surprise. In any event, boot the machine up, open a terminal (ctrl-alt-t) and type "sudo /etc/kernel/postinst.d/zzz-mk-aufs-kernel $(uname -r)" to fix it.

Marker

• View Profile
Re: lost aufs
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 08:09:15 AM »
That seems to have worked nicely. Thank you very much!