Author Topic: Need help deploying Ubermix  (Read 2696 times)

kirbz

• View Profile
Need help deploying Ubermix
« on: November 27, 2013, 03:40:48 AM »
Hi Guys

Need a bit of help with this.

I'm a linux noob so please be gentle. I want to deploy this to a number of netbooks. I have set one up with extra apps from the software centre and changed proxy settings, however when I take the image and deploy the extra apps have disappeared but I know it is the right image as it has kept the proxy settings??

I have used the USB method and have used a clonezilla server and both have the same result.

Thanks
Kirbz

Juan Pucheu

• View Profile
Re: Need help deploying Ubermix
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2013, 10:40:41 AM »
Hi Kirbz, did you follow the wiki instructions ?
You have to boot the net following this:
1. Reboot the computer and press ESC immediately after your computer manufacturer's splash screen disappears (you should see a flashing cursor in the top left corner for a few seconds - press the escape key within 3 seconds to view the menu.)
2. Select "Normal Boot" from the menu (but don't press enter) and press the "e" key on your keyboard
3. Select the line in the box that begins with the word "initrd" and move the cursor to the end of the line. Backspace over the four letters "aufs" and replace them with "generic". Do not add any spaces.
4. Then press "ctrl+x" on your keyboard to boot

Then, make any changes you like, and shutdown your net.

Once this is complete, you will need to do some prep work before creating the image. Do the following:
Insert your ubermix-install key and reboot your system, booting from the usb key in the same fashion as you did when you originally installed the system (see Download & Install for details.)
When the menu appears, select option "5. Expert Options"
From the next menu, select option "1. Update the image on the key using this machine as a model". Note that this process takes a fair amount of time. Since most systems will turn off their displays after a brief period of inactivity, you may find that your screen goes black unexpectedly. If that happens, simply press a "shift" or "ctrl" key to wake the screen back up.