Author Topic: Connecting Dell 1710  (Read 1869 times)

MTGreaver

• View Profile
Connecting Dell 1710
« on: November 26, 2013, 12:41:23 PM »
This is not a Dell 1710n.  Therefore, it has no networking capability.  It is connected to a Windows 7 64-bit computer that has the printer connected via USB and is shared. 

So far, I have found that it uses the generic PCL 6 driver (even though there are two of them).

I am trying to connecting using the Printers section under the System Settings Cog.  I click Add.  Then I click Find Network Printer.  I type in the machine name of the printer host and click Find.  I type my username, the domain name, and my password, and click OK.

It then has a listing for the printer in Samba.  Then the authentication window I leave as is.  My belief is that it will require the instructor to put in their username and password to allow the students to print.  If I want to set it up to always print using username, how should I set the authentication details?  If that fails, will it show up with my password in such a way that they can Show Characters and see my password?

On Choose Drivers, I select the PC: 6/PCL XL driver and click Forward.  On Describe Printer, I leave it as is and click Apply. 

Then I get a CUPS server error that says 'client-error-request-value-too-long'.  What does that error mean? 

I would like to set up the Dell 1710 printers on Ubemix.  How would you explain that to someone (me) who knows very little about Ubuntu and Linux in general.

jnetman1

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Connecting Dell 1710
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2013, 11:18:00 AM »
I would try choosing the Laserjet 4 driver. It's pretty generic and tends to work well with older printers. You could also try downloading and converting the Dell drivers for Red Hat 4. To do this, download the rpm file from the Dell web site, then open a terminal and:

sudo alien --scripts Downloads/print-drivers-linux-glibc2-x86.rpm

(Might have to install alien first). This will give you a deb package (drivers-dellprtdrv_5.3.1-2_i386.deb) that you can install by double-clicking on it or using "dpkg -i drivers-dellprtdrv_5.3.1-2_i386.deb". Once you install it, you have to open a terminal again and type:

sudo /usr/local/dell/setup.dellprint

To complete the setup. This will leave you with a "Dell Print Drivers" icon in System Tools. I can't get any further than opening the app, as I don't have one of these printers.

Good luck!