Author Topic: Aspire V5-131 SD Card Reader  (Read 2237 times)

Aaron Preabt

• View Profile
Aspire V5-131 SD Card Reader
« on: October 24, 2013, 07:22:51 AM »
We ordered some Aspire V5's in recently and thought everything was well with them..that is until we had some users try the SD card slot. The slot works...when you put the card in and then start up. If you insert a card while the machine is running nothing mounts.

I've determined it's an issue with the BCM57765 chip being seen as a PCI device. It's an always on/never on situation from my understanding. I tried loading the drivers from Broadcom's site compiled against my kernel (3.8.5-41) but received nothing but "expected" errors.

Funny thing is the card works wonderful when the NIC is plugged in (because the BCM57765 is a combo NIC/SD chip).

HELP!

Aaron Preabt

• View Profile
Re: Aspire V5-131 SD Card Reader
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2013, 12:53:19 PM »
Fixed it! Found the solution here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1067222

Here's what I did:

1) Reboot into generic mode
2) Created sdfix.sh in /usr/local/bin as follows:
2a) sudo modprobe -r tgs | modprobe tg3
3) Edited permissions to be executable
4) Created entry in "Startup Applications" and pointed in back to the sdfix.sh (this step could be done in rc.local too but I wanted to leave it easy to shut off if it creates problems).
5) Reboot

Based on the link above this is a known issue with switchable combo cards like the BCM57765 in all current Linux kernel builds. The fix reloads the tg3 modprobe at boot up. The only lingering issues is the delay time between inserting a card and actually receiving a pop-up. Let me know if anyone figures this out.

jnetman1

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Aspire V5-131 SD Card Reader
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2013, 08:42:41 PM »
That's awesome, thanks for the fix!