Author Topic: Wireless Connectivity Problems  (Read 1922 times)

gnorwalt

• View Profile
Wireless Connectivity Problems
« on: September 05, 2013, 02:55:20 PM »
We have been using Ubermix for about 3 or 4 years now without too much trouble.  This year the district changed to Juniper wireless access points.   We are trying to hook our HP 110 minis  into the new network and are finding that Ubermix doesnt want to connect.  My first thought was to install the latest version of Ubermix which allowed us to connect but now we are seeing delayed connections (4 to 5 minutes to connect) as well as dropped connections.  I thought possibly Juniper was the problem but the new image is having the same trouble on a simple Belkin Wireless router I bought to try out.  Any help you can give us would be appreciated.

urkomasse

• View Profile
Re: Wireless Connectivity Problems
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 06:12:32 PM »
Have you followed these steps to find out which network card you are using?
http://wiki.ubermix.org/page/Network_Card_Determination

It's possible that it needs some additional driver, such as Broadcom:
http://wiki.ubermix.org/page/Broadcom_Wireless

gnorwalt

• View Profile
Re: Wireless Connectivity Problems
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 10:03:55 AM »
Thanks urkomasse, this was helpful.  Im still having issues but its nice to have a direction to go.  Ive been working on this problem since you sent your response.  I wanted to collect as much data as possible before responding back.  Here is currently where Im at:

Ive downloaded and installed the latest Ubermix.
   Im unable to attach to our district secured network.
   I marked and updated bcmwl-kernel-source in synaptic
lshw -c network gave me the following info 
   The network card is a Broadcom like you thought:  BCM4313
   The driver that was running according to lshw was:  brcmsmac  version 3.8.5-41-generic

After the update I still cannot connect to the district network but I am able to connect to a small consumer Belkin router I bought at Costco.

Out of curiousity I download and installed a generic copy of Ubuntu 12.04 which booted fine and connected to the district network as well as the Belkin with no problems:

lshw from that computer gave me:
   driver is:  brcmsmac  version 3.8.0.29-generic

Im not sure where to go from here.  I was thinking maybe just install the generic 12.04 driver from the ubuntu build but Im not sure how to go about that.

Again thanks for the help