Author Topic: Broadcom BCM4313 and FusionInventory  (Read 1830 times)

urkomasse

• View Profile
Broadcom BCM4313 and FusionInventory
« on: September 03, 2013, 01:03:16 AM »
Hi,

At my school we deploy FusionInventory agents (with GLPI) for all our Windows machines. We have also been using it with our Ubermix machines, but I am running into a problem with Broadcomm BCM4313 wireless.

Due to 802.11n compatibility, I have installed bcmwl-kernel-source version 6.20, from jklein's PPA, and the driver wl works wonders compared to the open source version included in kernel 3.8.x.

But it makes it impossible to continue using FusionInventory. When the agent inspects the wireless card with this driver, the kernel crashes, with an error message about "tainted code" in the wireless module.

Has anyone had anything like this? I am worried that a couple of months down the line, I will start to have laptops crashing left and right, and loads of stress finding a fix :)

Juan Pucheu

• View Profile
Re: Broadcom BCM4313 and FusionInventory
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 11:16:13 AM »
Maybe there is some way to turn off the taint flag and still use the jim's module.
Run  cat /proc/sys/kernel/tainted, just to be sure if the flag is set.

jnetman1

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 10:06:43 PM »
This sounds like a binary was applied from elsewhere, and wasn't compiled against the ubermix kernel directly. I would start over and add the bcmwl-kernel-source from scratch.

urkomasse

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 07:21:49 PM »
I swear to you that this was "successfully" reproduced on two different computers with two different Broadcom cards, with the Ubermix 1.082 kernel, and with the bcmwl-kernel-source from your PPA :)

I will try with Ubermix 1.3, anyway. Fortunately for me, the devices with Broadcom here are within my reach, and I could re-image them relatively easily if this gets fixed.