Author Topic: Epoptes vs Italc  (Read 1879 times)

rsargent

• View Profile
Epoptes vs Italc
« on: July 12, 2013, 11:11:05 AM »
I am wondering why the ubermix wiki supports Italc and not Epoptes for monitoring student computers in a lab setting. My understanding is that Italc is no longer being supported on the Linux side, while Epoptes is currently under active development. Edubuntu has dropped Italc in favor of Epoptes as the default. Epoptes does not support Windows, but Italc only supports XP, which is soon to be unsupported by Microsoft.

Has anyone installed Epoptes in ubermix, and if you have, how did it work?

jnetman1

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Epoptes vs Italc
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 12:09:54 PM »
iTalc is still under development for Linux - iTalc 2 support Win 7 and (presumably) works with 8 as well (since they are essentially the same). Epoptes works great, however last I checked it's limited application to a single class (clients register with a single "server") makes it a far less effective solution for most schools who have students moving in and out of classrooms. Also, most teachers have Windows laptops/desktops, so the "server" app doesn't work for them without a VM or something similar.

I love Epoptes and hope they can get the 1:1 issue resolved in some way in the future.

Juan Pucheu

• View Profile
Re: Epoptes vs Italc
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2013, 03:12:23 PM »
I used epoptes for almost a year. My impressions, so far:
1. Works great inside a cabled LAN, but in WiFi rooms, if a client gets disconnected, it won't reconnect without a server restart. There is a Brazilian fork, but it's too unstable.
2. Teachers hate it, (don't know why), the prefer to walk the classroom.
3. It's NOT in active development. Last update was in august 2012.

Frankly, after a year, i don't use it anymore. VNC, and a shared folder works pretty well, the only thing i miss is the ability to "silence" all the nets in the classroom.
THE class control software is the intel e-learning suite. It's awesome, specially the latest versions. But in Argentina the government purchased the windows version (FAIL), if you can afford it, don't doubt.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 03:13:58 PM by jpucheu »