Author Topic: guidance on auto reset  (Read 1449 times)

otter

• View Profile
guidance on auto reset
« on: August 23, 2013, 07:57:56 AM »
Hi,

I've been trying to get auto-reset working (http://wiki.ubermix.org/page/Auto-Reset) with limited success. Maybe I'm not understanding it correctly or maybe the wiki page is out of date, eg: on the wiki it says to edit the line in /boot/grub/grub.cfg that ends with 'splash'. However there is no line that ends that way, but there is one that ends 'splash --no-log vt.handoff=7'

I have appended to that line and it is doing something, but not what I expect.

After booting into 'generic' mode, I've made some software changes/updates and have customized the homescreen and homepages of Firefox and Chrome. If I set the grub.cfg line to 'aufs=restore_home' it keeps all the changes to the UI but does NOT delete some test files I've placed in /home/user. If I set it to 'aufs=restore_both' it wipes out the UI changes and resets the browser homepages. Also, it does remove the test files in /home/user/ and keeps the software changes I've made.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what is supposed to be happening with those reset modes, but here is what I'm looking to achieve:

Thanks in advance!
I want the system to keep all of my software updates/changes/additions and keep all the UI changes made (browser home pages, custom Favorites screen, etc) but to erase any user files and any other config changes.

I'll note also that I have been making all those changes while booted into 'generic' mode.

Juan Pucheu

• View Profile
Re: guidance on auto reset
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 01:54:01 PM »
I just tried it on ubermix 1.82 and works very well.
Let's try a solution.
First, customize your base image and update your key. Try restoring ubermix using the ESC menu at boot. If all changes are saved, and everything seems to be ok, then do this steps:

1. press ESC at boot, select Normal Boot, press e, and then replace aufs with generic, then CTRL-X.
2. sudo nano /boot/grub/grub.cfg
Locate this section, and add the red text:
menuentry 'Normal Boot' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
               set gfxpayload=$linux_gfx_mode
               insmod part_msdos
               insmod ext2
               set root='(hd0,msdos1)'
               linux     /boot/vmlinuz-3.8.5-41-generic root=LABEL=SYSTEM ro quiet splash --no-l$--no-log vt.handoff=7 aufs=restore_both
               initrd /boot/initrd.img-3.9.5-41-aufs
}
Save changes, and reboot.

Greetings from the south,
Juan