Author Topic: Error resizing base system partition  (Read 1899 times)

deniro55

• View Profile
Error resizing base system partition
« on: May 14, 2013, 02:51:32 PM »
I have been trying to increase the base system partition following the instructions found on the Ubermix Customization page. After selecting the size that I would like the new partition to be I get the following errors and messages:
udev-work[381]: open /dev/null failed: No such file or directory
udev-work[382]: open /dev/null failed: No such file or directory
udev-work[383]: open /dev/null failed: No such file or directory
udev-work[384]: open /dev/null failed: No such file or directory

mke2fs 1.42 (29-Nov-2011)
Done
Formatting home partition...
mke2fs 1.42 (29-Nov-2011)
Updating user settings...
Done
Base system partition resized. Press any key to continue
Key press takes me back to the options menu.  Pressed enter to exit. Pressed enter to exit. Pressed enter to reboot.
Booted system pressing ESC to be able to modify the "Default System"  opened a terminal and entered df -h
which shows that the partition size has not changed.
What am I doing wrong?  Sorry but I am lost at this point.

deniro55

• View Profile
Re: Error resizing base system partition
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 08:13:16 AM »
I think that I have found my problem with resizing this partition.

I booted the system to Parted Magic and checked the size of the partition - it was what I had set it to, but the "new" area was a grey color.  Ran check on that partition when it completed the unused area was now white indicating unused space.  Rebooted and checked with df -h it now reports the correct size.  Not sure what Parted Magic check function did but that seems to have resolved the problem.  Now I am able to install the software I wanted but was unable to before because I did not have enough disk space even though I had increased the size.

One final note this is an older desktop system that we are converting to Ubermix.

deniro55

• View Profile
Re: Error resizing base system partition
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 06:28:58 AM »
I have found the command that I needed to "grow" the partition, which is what PartedMagic does when you use "check". After resizing the partition and rebooting the system from the command line enter:

resize2fs (and press enter).

Now the "usable" space will have grown to the size of the partition. Hope that helps.