Author Topic: Ubermix 1.081 on Dell Latitude 2100 (BCM 4312 LPPHY)  (Read 2418 times)

kautech

• View Profile
Ubermix 1.081 on Dell Latitude 2100 (BCM 4312 LPPHY)
« on: June 07, 2013, 04:28:14 PM »
Aloha Kakou

I installed ubermix-key1.081.img from a flash drive onto a Dell Latitude 2100 and initially had some issues getting the correct driver installed for the captioned wireless card (14e4:4315)

If you run into issues with the Broadcom hardware, here's the solution

-Open a terminal (ctrl+alt+t)
-Type sudo apt-get install firmware-b43-lpphy-installer
-Type sudo modprobe -r b43
-Type sudo modprobe b43

Don't forget to enable the hardware switch (FN+F6) in my case. No reboot necessary. Not sure if you need to "sudo apt-get purge bcmwl-kernel-source" or similar, but it's working for now.

The issue I am having is getting the computer to automatically connect to a hidden network here on campus. For now I need to manually "connect to a hidden wireless network." Is there a way to do this, for example, using gnome-session-properties?

I hope to deploy 2 dozen of these machines to our summer school classes mainly for web-based programs, and for feedback. My goal is to reimage the remaining 20 for use with GAFE next year.

With ubermix, the deployment image is less than 4GB, whereas the WindowsXP image was almost 15GB

Mahalo

Bob Martin
Naalehu, HI

jnetman1

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Ubermix 1.081 on Dell Latitude 2100 (BCM 4312 LPPHY)
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 11:59:01 AM »
Hidden SSIDs are always a challenge - they generally cost more than they get you. With hidden, the device has to broadcast constantly to find the network, which can dramatically increase traffic on the wireless as the number of devices scales up. Also causes problems with network optimization, as the devices can't easily connect to the strongest access point.

Thanks for sharing the B43 how-to!

kautech

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 07:00:56 PM »
So, after a few tweaks, I got the computer to automatically connect to the hidden wireless network ...

Since the computers are pretty much stationary, I found a simple shell script to automatically connect to the hidden network on startup. Here's how (let me know if I should have put the .sh file somewhere else?) props to http://blog.nixpanic.net/2011/01/connect-automatically-and-immediately.html

1. Here's the .sh copy and paste and save as /bin/MyWifi.sh

#!/bin/sh
#
# Automatically try to connect to 'MyWiFi' when WiFi is enabled
#

# the output of nmcli should be in English
LC_ALL=C

# loop for a while until NetworkManager is accepting commands
while [ "$(nmcli -t -f WIFI,STATE nm)" = 'enabled:disconnected' ]
do
 nmcli con up id MyWiFi
 sleep 5
done

exit 0
#end of script you don't need this but you do need that last line (exit 0)

2. To make the script executable you have to open terminal (Ctrl+alt+t), then

sudo chmod +x /bin/MyWifi.sh

3. next let's open gnome-session-properties from the same terminal

sudo gnome-session-properties

4. In the Startup Applications Preferences window, click Add. You can name it what you want and add any comment. for "command" enter /bin/bash /bin/MyWifi.sh

5. Click Save, then close Startup Applications Preferences

6. type sudo reboot and watch as your computer now automatically connects to the hidden wifi

Note: I tried sudo nmcli con up id HiddenSSID replacing HiddenSSID with the actual SSID, and got that to work from the terminal after login, but could not get that to execute on startup

-bm

« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 09:12:24 PM by kautech »

jnetman1

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 01:04:46 AM »
Added a custom package for the Broadcom driver to the ubermix repository that works very reliably with ubermix's newer kernel - appears to solve most problems with older Broadcom cards. To install it, follow the updated instructions at http://wiki.ubermix.org/page/Broadcom_Wireless