Author Topic: Change location of /home/user/.network-autostart  (Read 2533 times)

urkomasse

• View Profile
Change location of /home/user/.network-autostart
« on: June 06, 2013, 10:06:12 PM »
Hi,

I am experiencing some minor issues with our Ubermix deployment. I think some of our students have created their own users on their laptops, and removed the user "user". And oops, there goes the .network-autostart file.

Can we move that file somewhere else? An easy place would be /home/.network-autostart
Maybe create a whole hidden folder inside /home/ in case there is other stuff to add later.
Or even /usr/local/lib/remote-updates/network-autostart?

I don't know the reasoning behind the current location for that file, though. Is there something I'm not seeing?

jnetman1

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Change location of /home/user/.network-autostart
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 11:46:11 AM »
There is nothing preventing the script from being moved to any location you want - it is actually being called from /etc/network/if-up.d/ubermix-auto , which you could turn into the entire script if you so choose.

The reason it is somewhat theoretical - enabling the user to add their own programs to the auto start list. Some programs kick out errors if they don't have a network connection, so adding them to this script for the user enables the program to run only after the network comes up.