Author Topic: A few minor probs  (Read 1603 times)

Zorrander

• View Profile
A few minor probs
« on: May 24, 2013, 01:16:01 PM »
I downloaded and installed Ubermix on a Lenovo E520 laptop and have run into a few little nagging things that I'd like to ask about.  I've installed and used a few varieties of Linux over the years, but would not consider myself any sort of expert.  Most of my knowledge lies in Windows Server and networking equipment.

1. We use a Java web start app called A+ Learning Systems that is running fine, the only problem is when I create a shortcut in the alacarte application the icon image I put into the alacarte properties do not propogate to the application's icon on the desktop.  It just stays as the default icon.  I'm changing the icon properties in alacarte, then clicking the picture to choose my own picture from the home/pictures folder.

2. If I wanted to copy a desktop icon into say the Education group on the desktop menu what would be the best way to do that?

3.  For some reason the menus will change from 2 columns to 1 column and end up forcing you to scroll up and down to find the hidden apps..  then will randomly go back to 2 comlumns.  Not a big thing to most, but for a 5 year old it could be a bit confusing.  :)  Have you ever run into this before?

4. What method would you use if you suddenly needed to install a new piece of software on all of your Ubermix PCs?  Is there some method that this could be done with without doing them one by one?

Thanks for your help and for the software... I'm seriously considering using it in our K-5 lab and laptop carts

jnetman1

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: A few minor probs
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 11:11:21 AM »
1. I'm not experiencing the same issue you are with the icon - perhaps it's the format? You should use png or svg for your icons - png is safer.

2. If it's actually a desktop icon, you can probably copy it to the .local/share/applications folder to get it to appear in the launcher (that's where alacarte puts all of its icons as well). Worst case scenario, you can right-click and choose "Properties", then copy and paste the command into alacarte.

3. This usually corrects itself on a reboot. Is common when adding/removing icons to/from the launcher.

4. If I need to add applications after I've deployed, I use the auto-update script, as described here: http://wiki.ubermix.org/page/Auto_Update_Script