Author Topic: Setting default launcher theme and orientation - system-wide for all users.  (Read 5612 times)

pyperdown

• View Profile
Having some issues with the launcher - I'm sure this is a rookie mistake and I think I've dealt with it before but for the life of me cannot remember what the solution was.

Menu bar shows on the side, not the top, and when I scroll past the last visible item, the whole thing disappears and all I have left is top menu.  No more launcher items.

jnetman1

• Administrator
    • View Profile
If you want to use multi-user, start with a clean system and do the following from a terminal (ctrl-alt-t)

sudo cp -rv .local .gconf .config .network-autostart .dmrc /etc/skel/
sudo mkdir /etc/skel/{Desktop,Documents,Music,Pictures,Videos,Downloads}
sudo /usr/lib/lightdm/lightdm-set-defaults -s une-efl

On reboot everything should work, no matter which user logs in.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 10:03:34 AM by jnetman1 »

pyperdown

• View Profile
Is that efl (L) or efi (I)?

jnetman1

• Administrator
    • View Profile
That's lowercase "L" :)

pyperdown

• View Profile
For users that already have logged in to another linux system their menu bars still show up on the side...

Where is that setting actually located?  I may have to do some login/logoff scripting to move those dirs so new ones get created from /etc/skel or something like that.  Or I batch remove them from the server...

We have a fair number of somewhat vanilla 10.04 lts systems, and those are the users that appear to have this issue.  so thinking what I'm hunting for is in .config or one of the other dot-file directories.

pyperdown

• View Profile
apps->netbook-launcher-efl
change theme to nouveau.  set as mandatory.

jnetman1

• Administrator
    • View Profile
That's one way to do it, although they won't be able to choose. The settings are in .dmrc and maybe a .xsession file.

pyperdown

• View Profile
I've found that if the user scrolls down too far with a different theme that the launcher disappears and I can't get it back without restarting lightdm.  Making the nouveau or vouveau-hd theme mandatory solves that issue.

pyperdown

• View Profile
netbook-launcher-efl missing now (1.4 image) - any idea where it went?

jnetman1

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Hmm. Nothing different on our end. Bad install perhaps?