Author Topic: Ubermix on Dell Latitude 2110 computers  (Read 2096 times)

sisqitman

• View Profile
Ubermix on Dell Latitude 2110 computers
« on: April 17, 2013, 03:06:59 PM »
Currently, I have about 80 Dell Latitude 2110 computers running a Chromium build that is about a year old. I've known about the Ubermix builds before they were called that when Jim Klein first started using the software on netbooks in his district. Now, I'm wondering how the Ubermix would run on the Dell Latitude 2110's - not from a Linux server, but probably just doing installs where local users can login and use the machine. We're primarily interested in them being on the Internet and accessing Web 2.0 applications. If anyone is using the Ubermix on them, I would be interested in knowing how that is working out and what issues with drivers & such I might be up against. Thanks in advance.

jnetman1

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Ubermix on Dell Latitude 2110 computers
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 03:16:25 PM »
They should work fine. Not aware of any driver issues, but if you run into trouble, let me know.

sisqitman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 02:14:58 PM »
I had a technician download the Ubermix and install it on the Dell 2110. Here are his notes: I installed ubermix following the directions on the website and installed on the machine. It booted up very slowly after the initial install. This is something that the forums discuss in length, and is regarded as being normal. However, once power cycled, the system doesn’t boot AT ALL. This is not addressed in the forums, and there is no indication on screen as to the specific problem.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm clueless as where to start. Thanks

Glenn

jnetman1

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2013, 09:17:36 AM »
It sounds like a bad install. I've seen incomplete downloads from Google that pretend to be complete, so be sure to check the size of the image file - should be 2Gb in size. There is also an md5sum listed on the download files page to check against, which will help you to verify the download.

One other thing to look for: when it is installing it will tell you how many blocks of data it is going to write, followed by how many it wrote. If those two numbers are different, you have a problem.

If you continue to have problems booting, follow these steps to see where it is getting hung up:

• Immediately after the Dell splash screen disappears, press the esc key to enter the menu. You only have 3 seconds to do this, so be ready.
  • Select "Normal Boot" from the menu and press "e"
  • Change the "gfxpayload..." line to read "set gfxpayload=text"
  • Delete "quiet splash" from the line that begins with "linux"
  • Press ctrl+x to boot

This will give you a very verbose bootup process. Let me know about any errors and what the last line says before it gets stuck.