Author Topic: Updating Browsers and Java  (Read 4098 times)

JayBee

• Network Admin.
    • View Profile
Updating Browsers and Java
« on: March 26, 2012, 08:14:24 AM »
I'm having issues installing jre 6u31.  I've tried a few of the install scripts people have made and they all get errors.  Also having issues updating browsers, it says insufficient space?  What's the best solution to get the browsers and plugins up to date?
Thanks.

jnetman1

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Updating Browsers and Java
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 09:47:17 AM »
I assume you are attempting to update the browser on the base system partition, correct? If so, I would recommend increasing the size of the base system partition, so that you have a little more room to maneuver. To do this, boot from a current ubermix install key, choose option 5 (Expert) followed by option 3 (Resize) and set your base to 5 gig (which should be plenty). Then apply your updates.

Java is a tricky one, since Canonical no longer distributes the bits. To update:
  • Go to http://java.com
  • click "Free java download"
  • Click "Linux (self extracting file)" to download the update.
Once you have the update, we'll go to the terminal (press ctrl-alt-t to open one) and run a few commands. Enter (or copy and paste) each of the following lines in order:

cd Downloads
chmod +x jre*
./jre*
mv jre1.6* jre
sudo cp -Rv jre /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/
sudo rm /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libjavaplugin.so
sudo ln -s /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/jre/lib/i386/libnpjp2.so /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libnpjp2.so

Whew! You're done  :)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 04:33:42 PM by jnetman1 »

ronj

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 08:21:29 AM »
Attempting to install Java 7.5. Unable to following the instructions above. Is there an updated method?

jnetman1

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 11:05:01 AM »
Easiest way to handle this now is to do the following:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/java
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install oracle-java7-installer

Bear in mind that this is pretty big, so you'll want to increase the size of your base system partition before you install. See "Resizing the Base System Partition" at http://ubermix.org/customization.html

JayBee

• Network Admin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 12:17:41 PM »
Thanks for the updated directions, they worked great.  Updated the browsers and flash packages also.

After I resized the partition to 5gigs (tried to go smaller, but it wouldn't take those values), I get errors when updating the key about running out of space.  I think the page said the newer version automatically resizes the key.  Does this mean that there is no way to use a 2gb flashdrive after this?  Any recommendations to follow these steps, but fit it onto a 2gb flashdrive?

Thanks.

JayBee

• Network Admin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2012, 12:56:48 PM »
Ok so I uninstalled some packages to make space.  I uninstalled Chrome and Google Earth temporarily just to make sure I had enough space.  After I installed Oracle Java, I reinstalled Chrome + Earth through the package mananger.  The showed up and ran fine, but when I rebooted into the user profile I get errors launching Chrome and Google Earth doesn't even show up.
It says Could not execute 'Google Chrome': Failed to execute child process "/opt/google/chrome/google-chrome" (no such file or directory)
Doing whereis google-chrome
shows:
google-chrome: (blank)

Is there some sort of file permission that needs setup?

jnetman1

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2012, 11:12:26 PM »
You'll want to make sure you do your work in "generic" mode according to the instructions at http://ubermix.org/customization.html under "Rebuilding the Base Image". It sounds like you might have removed in generic mode, then installed booted normally, which would have left Chrome and Earth in the user changes space. I would just remove Earth - should give you plenty of room.

Easiest option, of course, is to just use a bigger USB key and just install the whole truckload on a 5Gb base partition, as you originally did. You will have to follow the steps under "Resizing the Ubermix Key to Accommodate a Larger Base System Partition" on http://ubermix.org/customization.html for it to fit properly on the larger key.